Thursday, August 16, 2012

Adieu

I've always had a fancy for the French language. It's soft and mellifluous. It's gorgeous. Adieu I learned from an old book, read to me in third grade, and one of my favorites. I have it to this day. The Tale of Despereaux. Adieu itself means farewell. Ah, childhood seems so far away now, but I connect it to today as I say adieu to Wayzata, to my friends, and to my teachers.

The path ahead of us splits, but I'd like to think we'll still be connected by ever-loosening-but-never-broken strings of friendship. I'd like to think I learned a lot in my 4 years in Wayzata, and I met some of the most wonderful people, but if I started listing the names and how each one influenced me, I believe my eye sockets would run dry and my afternoon would be gone. Damn, I didn't think I'd cry about moving again after moving so many times. Sorry for the lack of specificity, dear friends, but I have much to admire from each and every one of you, and I'd rather keep my eyesight today.

Life at Wayzata had many ups and downs. Everyone competed, but everyone cooperated. This led to wonderful friendships realized in torturous classes like Euro, Diffeq, AP Comp, or hell, one of the most torturous of all, Health. But behind this gang of friends rushing for college acceptance and battling for Ivy Leagues, I found a group of teachers always pushing us along gently and motivating us to be better. Wayzata has incredible teachers at each step of the way, and I can only hope my professors at college are the same. Each and every year, I had wonderful teachers to help me, to guide me. There aren't many Mr. Kilkellys in this world, but somehow, Wayzata just happened to gather a bunch just as good in all their departments. I'll miss talking to Mr. Motes, Skerbitz, Schmit, Prondzinski, Tuura and Mrs. Grack, Kottke, Tolle, Hagen, Decker, or McIntyre. They've all influenced me, whether it's through a wonderful little maxim, an eloquent speech which touches the heart while stifling my arrogance, or teaching me to have fun while still being under a heavy workload.

It's not Thanksgiving yet, but I'm very thankful for all the great teachers I've had here. I'm disappointed that I have to say farewell. I'd love to see them all again, listen to their lectures, and continue to learn from them, but it's time to face the future. It's intimidating, the future. I never know what can happen, but I think I'll keep a few things in mind as I head out:

1. You're not as great as you think you are. In the words of Sibi, "Don't believe your own hype." Pessimistic? No. More like keep your arrogance in check.

2. Integrity is worth more than any amount of money or points can buy.

3. Half as short, twice as good, twice as powerful.

4. Getting your ass kicked is good. Just adjust to it and learn.

5. Time management, time management, time management. You fucked it up in high school. Don't in college.

6. There isn't a grade you can't get. You're just not working hard enough.

And with those lessons in mind, adieu Wayzata. Adieu, adieu, adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment