Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Politics, Education, and Communication

Every time a presidential election comes up, political issues come to the forefront. There's economic issues like debt, unemployment, inflation, and interest rate, and there's social issues like gay rights, abortion, stem cells, etc. I don't mind people discussing these issues, but when it comes down to it, I mind the discussion.


As the internet becomes a more and more prevalent medium of communication, I fear more and more for our political discourse. Perhaps it's a lingering thought from AP Comp, Orwell, and Postman. The problem with internet discourse is that it's often unregulated and unrestrained. There's no sense of holding back, and therefore no sense of listening, when you're discussing with a complete stranger. I mean, I couldn't care less about the political opinions of some guy on the street. On the other hand, if my friend disagreed with my opinion and told me his reason, I couldn't just dismiss him as an idiot. No, I would have to stop, listen, process the thought, and then reflect and evaluate it. I might even realize I don't know anything about the topic and concede that point. I don't see that on the internet. I see incessant bickering, endless strawman arguments, and general, chaotic hollering instead of actual discussion. Sure, this can change based on a site's level of moderation and culture, but I think it's a fair generalization for most internet websites.

Another problem I see with internet discussions is online forums. Honestly, forums are horrible places for political discussions, yet they happen everywhere in those forums. The biggest problem is zero information or lack of ethos. Nobody knows the credentials of anybody else. Everyone acts like a big-shot know-it-all. People claim expertise without knowing anything. Nobody has any sources to back their opinions either. It's all theory without any empiricism, and often times, incorrect theory. I love economics, but people ruin it in online political discourse. I respect the study, but online, everyone seems to know everything. The words of professors, professionals, and Nobel-laureates are discredited by some guy who's read Mises, Hayek, or Friedman. Well jeez, hasn't every economist? Yet their research has pushed beyond those thinkers and reached different conclusions, but when people are discussing economics online, Ron Paul is always right. It's just stupid.

Wait a minute, Ron Paul? WE DID IT GUYS! RON PAUL 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment